How do we rate? Though there is an ideas out there on how to rate them I thought that I would take a moment and give my opinions and a few things that we look for.
Ultimately it is up to you to rate you caches. It is your responsibility to determine how difficult your cache is and the terrain that it is in. Everyone will have different ideas, and new people in the hobby will find some caches far harder than someone who has played for some time.
- Plain Site. This to me is something like a box sitting on your porch, or something that is really obvious.
- There are a few hiding places, it might be one of a few spots. In my opinion this is the majority of caches.
- Much more difficult. Lots of places to hide. You may be looking for some time.
- Kill me now. You will be spending some time looking for this. Plan up to an hour.
- Nuke em hard. This is near impossible. Only people with serous defects want to look for this. It could be an extremely hard puzzle, or something that needs tools to solve. Plan on extra work, extra needs, and multiple trips.
- Wheelchair. This is the flattest and easiest. Use this if you could get to the cache and get it in a wheelchair. If it requires a little stretching, or something go to 1.5
- Kids. This would be a cache that you could take small kids to. It could be a few mile hike on flat ground or something milder.
- Not for small kids, but perhaps for older kids. It might be steeper, or longer hike of 3-4 miles that might be really easy
- Off Trail, extremely long, heavy brush, or poisonous plants. This might be really rough to get to to a steep hill, or even a flat long hike.
- Really difficult, and it may require special equipment. Scuba, rock climbing, boat, or something else needed just to get you to the cache.
People ask how to rate the cache in the case of a challenge. Officially it should be for that cache not all the challenges that you need to get the cache. For example if you have a challenge that requires you to find a 5/5 and it is a drive by, seen by all, you should rate it how that cache is.
Wherigos are not considered special equipment. Do not rate them a 5 because you have to have a special player.
Ultimately you decide how to rate things. You determine how you feel the cache should be rated.